Saturday, October 15, 2011

After 5 Weeks

I really wish I could get excited about the NFL this year, but it really hasn't happened yet. Maybe it is the record of my Bears (2-3) or their maddening play calling. Maybe it is the wealth of really bad teams...and them matching up on the schedule. Seriously, how many people do you think are interested in watching the Colts play the Bengals? I would rather watch Justin Timberlake try to act, which actually would make me laugh. Not much else humors me on NFL Sundays though. I am not sure who comes up with the DirecTV commercials with Deion Sanders but they irritate me enough to make me want to switch to Dish Network. The only commercials that rival DirecTV's for stupidity are the Miller Lite "Man Up" commercials. While the beer has always been terrible, they have had some good commercials in the past. They need to realize how bad the current stream is. The advertising agency is really reaching for humor in their offering and are coming up woefully short.

I hope the fans in Denver are happy since the most overhyped QB in history is starting for them this week. Unless he plays defense, they still won't win.I hope Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn find a new home soon. The Denver fans that have been lobbying for Tebow all season know little about football....and they probably laugh at the Man Up commercials. As long as Brandon Lloyd can continue to make Tebow look respectable, he'll be revered even when they lose.

I'm sold on Jim Harbaugh. I loved what he did at Stanford and am amazed at how well he has motivated the Niners to play. If anyone was gong to straighten Alex Smith out, it would be Harbaugh. They have had the talent over the past few years to win a very weak division, but they grossly underperformed. I'm not sure how Samurai Mike was unable to motivate his troops, but my hat is off to them and I expect them to give Detroit all they can handle on Sunday.

Speaking of game predictions, I like the Colts going into Cincinnati and getting their first win. The Rams won't get their first win this week, but it will come soon. I can't make the same prediction about the Dolphins though.

No comments: